Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Welcome To My View


Springtime and Dog Shows

Ahhhh, Springtime.  The flowers are starting to break out of the ground.  Trees are putting on leaf buds.  Birds are singing at daylight.  And it's that time of year again, when we are all checking Canuck Dogs for the show schedules and closing dates.  We are selecting which shows we want to enter, working on our show budgets to see which dog we will enter.  If you are like me, I print off the entire year's schedule from Canuck Dogs and I highlight the shows I'm interested in.  Canuck Dogs has become the Bible of Canadian Dog Events.  We all live with Canuck Dogs bookmarked on our computers and wait for the results of shows to see how our friends and competitors are doing.

Springtime shows bring everyone out.  We are anxious to see our friends that we haven't seen since the last show the previous year.  We want to see the new puppies being introduced for the first time and to see last year's puppies since they have matured.  Chairs are dusted off and ready to be pulled up ringside to cheer on our favorite breeds.

I use Entry Line to enter most of our shows.  I have found them to be the easiest and most helpful.  I am a member and get a discounted service fee and store all my info there.  I suggest you check them out.

I have made a folder titled  "Show Entries" in my email under "Hold".  I put all my show receipts and confirmations in this folder.  That way if I get confused (which I do on a fairly regular basis lately), I can check to be sure I did indeed enter that show.  Before the show, I print off my show confirmation which shows our armband numbers.  That way if there is ever any confusion at the show, I have proof that I have entered and paid.

I also use my email calendar.  As I enter the shows, I put the information on my email calendar.  I use Microsoft Outlook, so this may not be available on all email services.  Once I have entered the show information on my calendar, I send an invitation to Lyle via email from my calendar.  That way he has the same information in his calendar for the shows.

I have packed my mosquito spray, my mud boots because you know there will be mud, rain jacket, along with all my other other dog supplies.  We are ready for another season of dog shows.  I wish everyone a great year.  I hope your dog wins the blue ribbons and big rosettes and doesn't ever poop in the ring!  Let's make this the best year ever, filled with good sportsmanship, encouragement, nice deeds and REMEMBER TO STOOP AND SCOOP!







                      THE GOLDEN TRAINING RULE

My golden rule for training, whether it be obedience or conformation, is that your dogs must have fun while working or they will not learn.

In my 35 plus years of obedience training, I have seen dogs come and go having fun and learning as well as not enjoying the experience.

While the obedience ring is quite structured, there is no reason why the dog when asked to do the required skills, should not be having fun.

When training, make it fun so when the dog sees the entrance to the obedience ring their tale is wagging and they want to work.  The same rule applies to the conformation ring.  As those dogs are waiting to enter the rings they should be excited, and willing to enter, knowing the experience will be a fun one.

The first thing I ask my dogs when I prepare to train and before I put their collars on, is “are you ready to work?”  Their tales go crazy and they show me “yes” I am very willing and ready to learn and work for you.

This premise is the same as human theory.  When humans are trying to learn a task, we will learn much easier if we are enjoying the process and having fun.  Why should it be any different for your dog!

My first and foremost rule is do not train if you are having a bad day.  No sense in bringing your dog down with you.  Wait until you are just as eager and then start. Keep the training sessions appealing and not too long and always ending on a good note.

Make sure the food treat used is easily digestible, no hard treats, and keep them very small.  Only use this treat for training and do not give it at any other time.  While food praise is good, please let that dog work as well for your verbal and physical praise.  If your body language says boring, it will be just that for your dog.

Josephine Lambert
Spoiled Red Bassets



If you would like for Josephine to help teach your dog obedience and/or conformation or just good day-to-day manners, you can contact her at the following website or email.











Pam McClintock offers her thoughts and opinions regarding the state of The Dog Fancy in Canada. 


Are You A Good Sport??

A sportsman is defined as 'one who plays fair and can lose without complaint and win without gloating'. To be sporting is to be 'considerate, sportsmanlike and gentlemanly'. In this game that we call dogs, the art of being a true and decent sportsman can be a rare commodity. The creatures in our care and around which our sport revolves frequently become the pawns in a more serious and personal quest for self fulfillment. Who among us has not felt the pangs of disappointment as our exhibit is passed over for another.  In annoyance, we often lash out at our fellow competitors, and friendships are reduced to mere memories with bitter overtones that obscure the senses creating antagonism and even hate mongering.  Are we as humans incapable of putting the emphasis for respect squarely on our associates and friends or does each and every win become the focus for our own self worth. Why do the confidants that we create in this hobby/business suddenly become less important to us because of a win or loss. The exhibition of show dogs , perhaps more than any other sport, carries a very human element. That is, there is no stopwatch to beat,  no finish line to cross, no time to conquer. A win or loss is at the discretion and single handed gesture of one other person. A real and living human like ourselves. This solitary individual can and will determine our success or failure when we enter the ring. The judges' appraisal of our exhibit and his/her ultimate decision are the factors that allow us to revel in victory or wallow in defeat.

Perhaps this is the very reason why our sport creates such a shocking collection of poor sportsmen and intensely volatile individuals. Another human being is directly responsible for what we perceive to be our success. Once the proper conditioning and beautifying of the dog is done, there is nothing left  but to have that person select the animal that he/she  feels  is best in the ring on a given  day. No race to run, no time to beat, just a flash of the wrist as the winner is chosen. The mechanics of the judging system requires no accountability nor reason be given for the choice of a winner and indeed judges are discouraged from undue conversation in the ring. The anger surges, tempers flare, and sharp words are exchanged as a subjective decision gives rise to a nasty altercation in which the key players are adults. A loss is often misconstrued as a personal vendetta while the winner basks in the belief that he is indeed the fairest of them all. Friendships falter because somehow a win by one and a loss by another has honed the sharp edged knife of jealousy and mean spiritedness, which threatens the existence of solid interpersonal relationships. Meanwhile the dogs are just happy with a pat and an ear rub. They are but a small part of the bigger picture which consists of inflated egos and the intense human desire to win,  as somehow this justifies existence. Winning and losing with distinction and exhibiting with integrity and graciousness is no easy task. But it is made simpler if we fervently remember that our friendships are valuable and loyalty to our sporting comrades is a true test of honour.

Pam welcome your comments, thoughts and ideas. Please share with her at:   pamm@niagara.com  or find her on Facebook.










I like to see people do nice things for others.  If someone does something nice for you at a show or you see or hear about something nice being done, please send me an email at djenkins@shaw.ca.   Be sure to put in the subject: Nice

We will mention that person by name in the blog.


Wendy Reyn is this week's spotlight.  I almost didn't want to spotlight Wendy, because she is already so popular that I was selfishly thinking that perhaps she will get even busier and won't have time for my ads and website work.  Most of you know Wendy.  She does the most fabulous ads for the dog show folks and she works with many different businesses designing ads and websites.  She is a very very busy graphic designer.  What sets her apart from all the rest is her ability to keep her prices very reasonable for dog show folks who are normally broke, while at the same time, she produces the ads of your dreams and gives you the time and attention needed to understand your needs.   I know first hand how much patience she has because I have been difficult at times.  If you follow her protocol, she is able to get more done for many people and she can keep her prices reasonable.  

So, to Wendy......I tip my hat and say " Thank you Ma'am!"  

Wendy can be reached by going to her website:  http://www.winconline.com/



Remember to watch for "Nice Deeds".  They are happening all around us.  Let's talk about the people helping others.

Be sure to go to Canuck Dogs, http://www.canuckdogs.com, to see all the upcoming events and to check stats.  You should  bookmark it.  That's where you will find my blog. 

                                                                     XXXOOO




No comments:

Post a Comment