Monday, April 29, 2013

Welcome To My View









I Am An Evil Stage Mother

About a month ago, I was in Atlanta visiting my sister and I got a text message from a friend.  She asked me how I would feel about Cara being in a commercial.  Needless to say, I would have never expected that question in a million years.  After I picked my yaw up from the table, I answered, SURE!  ARE YOU KIDDING?  ABSOLUTELY!  After a few more text messages, I had most of the instructions.

The conversation went something like this.  
"It is a closed set, so you can't come with Cara.  How do you feel about allowing me to take Cara without you?"  

I said, "I feel ok, so far.  I would not trust Cara to just anyone, but I trust you."

"Then you should meet me at the Home Depot parking lot," my friend said. "Oh, by the way, they will pay you a small amount for her day's work", my friend added.

I was so excited about Cara's debut in film, I could hardly stand the wait.  I made sure she was groomed to a shining glow.  Only one problem, she has gone into heat.  Perhaps they can work around that, I thought.  Cara would be joining the likes of The Taco Bell Chihauhau, the dog in "Silent Movie, Lassie and Rin Tin Tin.   Cara would be doing for Standard Wirehaired Dachshunds what the Taco Bell Dog did for Chihauhaus.  I could retire and just make special appearances with her.  

When I dropped Cara off that morning at the Home Depot parking lot, my friend said that they won't tell us what product the commercial is for.  It could be dog food.  Evidently, they take making commercials very serious and they are top secret.  I guess that is ok and why stand in Cara's way of becoming a star.  After all, the world could really use a very cute wiry long dog with the sweet face.  The joy she could bring  could be what world needed to bring it together.  It wouldn't be a cure for cancer, but she could warm hearts and put smiles on faces.

That evening, Lyle picked Cara up at the Home Depot parking lot and my friend said that Cara had done everything the commercial dog trainer had asked her and that the only clue they had of what she had done included her possibly sitting on a pink sofa or chair.  Well, that was just music to our ears.  She performed for the trainer and she sat on a pink piece of furniture.  A STAR IS BORN!

Now, it is wait.  We will have no idea what the product is until we see it on TV   The wait is almost unbearable.  Was it a dog food commercial?  Could it be a cell-phone provider commercial?  How about a luxury automobile?  Then one day I am doing some work on my laptop and happen to look up at the TV and see a commercial.  I recognize Marshall, the Beautiful English Bulldog and Nugget, the equally beautiful French Bulldog.  I see the Pekineses that I knew was traveling with the little troop of dogs to make the commercial.  Then the commercial was over.  I had missed the beginning.  That must be where Cara's part is.  But when will the commercial come back on?  How long must I wait in front of the TV until I see it again?

I get a message from Tammy Timpany McAllister, telling me that people had seen the commercial and had I seen it.  I quickly text back to say that I had seen her dogs Marshall and Nugget and the Peke, but I had not seen Cara.  I mull over in my head, I had seen a golden retriever, a large red dog like a Mastiff, a dog like a schnauzer, the English Bulldog, the French Bulldog and the Peke, even a cat.  AHHHHHHH NO CARA!!!!

Finally, I see the commercial, again.  It is for Advantix Flea & Tick Control.  Very nice commercial.  I see the pink chair that Cara should have been sitting in.  The world will not be introduced to my Cara.  What have they done?  My Cara was on the editing room floor, just a few snippets of celluloid.  

Being the New Stage Mother that I now am, I arrived at the only conclusion that made any sense to me at all........My Cara was just too beautiful to ever look like she has fleas!!!!!  The commercial people saw that straight away and had to do the only smart thing and remove her.    THANK YOU SO MUCH COMMERCIAL PEOPLE FOR YOUR WISDOM AND INSIGHT!!!!  

What would I do if Advantix called me tomorrow and asked to star Cara in their commercial....I'd say DAMN YES AND WHAT TIME DO YOU WANT HER THERE!!!

A little side note:  I absolutely love all the dogs and even the cat in this commercial.  They are all champions and fabulous in their own right.  Tammy Timpany McAllister has the most fabulous English Bulldogs you have ever seen and she is a very talented photographer.  It was Tammy that made this whole exciting experience happen for us.  We can't thank her enough and just love her to death!

Tammy specializes in photographing the silly side of your pet.  To see Tammy's photography work go to http://www.willeecolephotography.com  or http://www.bulldaciousbulldogs.com  .






This car belonged to Josee Boulanger.
This accident happened two weeks ago.
She was pulled out along with her
baby Pomeranian just before the car burst 
into flames.  The Baby Pomeranian was BPIG 
on Sunday at the Club Canin Rive-Sud
de Montreal Show.  Proper Dog Safety in the
car saved that puppy's life.



Safe Car Travel for Your Dog
The Facts


This information has been kindly contributed by the American Animal Hospital Association.

  • A 60-pound dog becomes a 2,700 pound projectile, at just 35mph
  • Dog travel has increased 300% since 2005
  • Unrestrained dogs delay emergency workers' access to human occupants
  • Dogs escaping post-accident pose many dangers, including catching the loose pet
  • Injured dogs may bite first responders and rescue workers 
  • Dogs may escape through a window or open door and cause a second accident
  • Driver distraction is common when unrestrained dogs are rambunctious


Carrier vs. Dog Seat-belt

The best way to transport your dog is in a padded carrier that is fastened with a seat-belt or restraining devise in the back seat. Dog carriers can be transported in the back of a pickup truck, as long as they are strapped in. Strapping in the carrier prevents it from being thrown during an accident.

Though not as effective as a carrier, dog seat-belts are better than having a loose dog. If you choose to use a seat-belt  make sure it’s padded and can adjust to your dog’s size. It’s a good idea to test the seat-belt on your dog before you buy it. Make sure the latches are secure. Metal latches are probably better than plastic.

Place Pets in the Back seat

As is the case with children, dogs are safer in the back seat of a car. No matter which restraint you use, place your dog in the back seat. Never let your dog ride in front of an airbag.

Dog Booster Seats and Barriers

A dog barrier may be necessary for a large animal like a Great Dane. If you use one, make sure your dog also is tethered in a harness and leash, preventing escape in the case of an accident. But never tether your dog by the neck. This could cause choking during an accident or sudden stop. If possible, however, the safest way for your dog to travel is inside a padded carrier, made of hard plastic.

Dog booster seats can help your dog better fit in a pet seat-belt  They’re sometimes used to allow your dog to look out of an open window. Dogs should not be allowed to stick their heads out of car windows, because they can become injured or suffer infections from dirt and flying debris.

The Best Type of Carrier                             
Lahoussaie General J Pershing
 BPIG winner

Choose a carrier that’s made of hard plastic and padded inside. Make sure your dog can stand up in the carrier. Some dogs also will be more comfortable if they can turnaround.

Getting Your Dog Used to a Carrier

Sometimes the only time dogs are placed in carriers is when they are being taken to the veterinarian. This causes most dogs to dislike carriers. Some steps to prevent this:
·        Get dogs used to their carriers by feeding and watering them in their carriers while at home.
·        Stock the carrier with your dog’s favorite toys and blankets.
·        Let your pet sleep in the carrier.
·        Take your dog on drives (in the carrier) that don’t involve the veterinarian.

It shouldn't take long before your dog adjusts. Most pets feel safe and secure inside their carriers.

Keep Dogs’ Heads Out of Open Car Windows

Although dogs love to stick their heads out of car windows, doing so is very dangerous. All dog’ eyes, ears and noses can become injured by dirt and other objects. They also can get infections. It’s always safer to keep your dog’s head inside a moving car.

Be Smart Ride Safe










I like to see people do nice things for others.  If someone does something nice for you at a show or you see or hear about something nice being done, please send me an email at djenkins@shaw.ca.   Be sure to put in the subject: Nice

We will mention that person by name in the blog.


This week we Spotlight Helene Belanger  of Sassytails Chinese Cresteds

                                             


Helene is a long time breeder/owner/handler of Chinese Cresteds.  She has a grooming business that she runs out of her home.  Even though she is very busy, she generously gives of her time to attend shows, even when she isn't entered, in order to report the show's results to Canuck Dogs.  Without her efforts this past weekend, the folks waiting to get the results of the Victoria County Show on Friday and Saturday could still be waiting.  Helene reports the results to Canuck Dogs as an unpaid volunteer.  She is generous with her time, advice to newbies and displays the qualities of the dog show person so desired today.

You can reach Helene on Facebook while she gets her website up and running.


Remember to watch for "Nice Deeds".  They are happening all around us.  Let's talk about the people helping others.   Send your "Nice Deeds" to me at djenkins@shaw.ca 

Be sure to go to Canuck Dogs, http://www.canuckdogs.com, to see all the upcoming events and to check stats.  You should  bookmark it.  That's where you will find my blog. 

                                                                     XXXOOO


No comments:

Post a Comment