Monday, November 12, 2012

Welcome To My View

My Girl is Driving Us All Crazy

Cara went off her food about four months ago.  We tried everything. Satin balls, raw beef medallions, home cooked chicken and rice, and a wide variety of canned, moist and dry foods.  We laid in the floor with spoons trying to coax her into eating.  It was suggested that we try Rollover for several days and start introducing dry kibble back into her diet.  Sure enough that worked.  She started eating like a starving dog.  It was as if we couldn't fill her up.  In the past few weeks she had gained to a nice healthy 23 pounds.  Just right for a Standard Wirehaired Dachshund.  We were so excited about her weight gain, that we entered her in a Dachshund Specialty in the USA.  

False Preggers is a pain in the $%&@#
Don't you know as nature would have it, five days before the USA show, Cara goes into false pregnancy and has again gone off her food.  She has humped her sister until Abby is afraid to move into any open space, and  she is keeping to the room perimeter so she can avoid being mounted.  It's been like dog prono around our house for over a week, now.  Cara is whining, crying, pacing and snapping at Abby.  She has declared the big wire kennel her private space and won't let her sister in anymore.  She has fluffed the blankets and circled like a maniac.  Poor thing is miserable.

I have again tried food, any food that she will eat.  She has lost about 1/2 pound and we certainly don't want to lose any ground in that area. When she goes off her food she goes anorexic and it's hard to get her to eat again.  I have stocked an ample supply of Rollover,  and finally today she ate a little .  I am so thankful to Rollover, if they ever need a testimonial or want me to do a commercial, just contact me.   

I have applied Campho-Phenique on her swelling boobs.  I am from Georgia and Campho-Phenique to used on all animals including humans to dry up milk.  I couldn't believe no one up here had ever heard to it.  I had to buy a supply in the USA to bring back.   Just put some on a cotton ball and dab it on.  I do that once a day for about 4 days to completely dry up milk.  You can buy it at any drug store or Wal-Mart.  

I was told about a supplement called Symplex F, which contains bovine ovary, bovine pituitary, bovine thyroid minus the thyroxine and bovine adrenal.  It is used to get the hormones regulated.  Once again, I couldn't find this product or anything like it at any of the health food stores or Naturalpaths.    I will look for it in the States this weekend.

It remains to be seen if Cara will be in any state of mind to show this weekend.  Thankfully, I had entered her sister, Abby, just in case.  I just really wanted this weekend to be Cara's.  Oh well, we will manage this and hopefully Cara will feel better in a couple of weeks.  

I'd love to hear from any of you that have had success with supplements or other treatments that help to relieve the symptoms of false pregnancy.  It might be what saves my sanity and gives Cara some relief.



ASK THE EXPERTS
This will be a regular feature of my blog.  I will be asking a question to a cross-section of Canadian experts involved in various areas of the dog world.  If you would like to participate or have a question you would like to have asked or have an expert you would like to answer a question, feel free to contact me.


Question:  What was it like to do your first breeding?
Sandy Alexander and Pippa

Answer: Sandy Alexander, Shelburne, NS 
http://www.livewiredachs.com


I have always been an owner-handler and enjoyed the thrill of the wins that come with that title. Knowing that my dog has won on his own merits (with a bit of assistance from me) is a very fulfilling win. I am not new to the world of dog shows, but after a respite of about 15 years, I found myself whole-heartedly back into that world...this time with Standard Wirehaired Dachshunds. Since 2006, I have purchased 5 lovely show potential dogs from other breeders and have put American and Canadian Championships on all of them along with many Speciality wins.

It was time for my next show puppy and, this past summer, I decided to take the plunge and breed my own! I had the perfect candidates... a lovely girl and a handsome dog who had passed their health clearances, had lovely temperaments, and who complimented each other in many ways. This was to be my first dachshund litter and I had some trepidation, but I was excited.

Things were different from the days when I bred English Springer Spaniels back in the 80's and 90's. The modern breeding program includes words like progesterone testing, artificial insemination, and even frozen implants (from dogs who passed away years ago!) Those terms were unspoken back “in my day”!

Part of my trepidation stemmed from the fact that I live in a small town two hours away from the vet who is the fertility expert in Nova Scotia. It was going to be costly to do daily drives for progesterone testing. My dog had been used previously in a natural breeding, so I chose to let him decide when the mating should take place. Well, he was right on the money as far as timing, but after several futile attempts, the maiden bitch would not stand for him, even with assistance. I knew that it was imperative to “hit the target” so I loaded them both in the van and headed for the expert. The office visit was short... a quick AI and a progesterone test that indicated that the timing was right and, voilà, we had a breeding!

The next two months were full of anticipation. At 30 days she definitely looked pregnant and an ultrasound showed evidence of 5 puppies. Everything was progressing smoothly until the last trimester when the expectant mother stopped eating! This 21 pound bitch was so full of puppies she didn't want anything else in her stomach! I fretted, lost sleep, and tried to cajole her with every food that was suggested to me by other breeders and other more experienced folks on Yahoo breeders' forums. (How did I ever function without social networking?)  Suddenly my expectant mother was being presented with an entire cornucopia of foods that doesn't usually reside in our dog pantry including baby food, liverwurst, scrambled eggs, cooked steak, and all sorts of potions and stews! I didn't know how the puppies were staying alive as she refused one after another of my offerings! I still don't know how we made it through those last 3 weeks. It was full of anxiety for me! This was not part of my breeding experience. All of my Springers had been voracious eaters. That was how I knew that whelping was imminent as the dams would suddenly refuse their food. I only had a date as a target for this delivery so I hoped to have other signs....restlessness, nesting, resting quietly, something!!!

The first sign came in the dark of morning when I heard her sit up in her whelping box and I turned on the light to witness a definite contraction. Within 3 minutes a puppy appeared and all of my previous delivery instincts flew into action, cutting the cord, tying it off, clearing the lungs, getting the puppy to nurse. This scenario repeated itself.... seven more times! No wonder she didn't want to eat!

I certainly learned that all deliveries are not necessarily “text-book” and in spite of the uncertainty, my anxieties were allayed as I watched this new mother settle into the role that nature intended. She was an exemplary mother once they arrived and I remain very proud of her and her offspring.

I still have three of these puppies and they are now four months old. Thank goodness I have the luxury of watching them grow up for a while (my husband leaves for the winter!!) They say you shouldn't have a litter of puppies just to witness the “miracle of birth”, and of course I had a more important objective, but as I gaze over these lovely, playful bundles of canine joy, I have to admit... it was a “miracle” to me!!

One may ask, “was it worth all the angst and worry” to go through this process to create your own show dog? Right now those anxious memories are fading, but, ask me once again when I am proudly holding the end of the lead of my very own BREEDER-Owner-Handled Champion!! Fingers crossed!!!


I like to see people do nice things for others.  If someone does
something nice for you at a show or you see or hear about 
something nice being done, please send me an email at 
djenkins@shaw.ca.   Be sure to put in the subject: Nice

We will mention that person by name in the blog.  

We didn't get any reports this week of a "Nice Deed".  Please help me to recognize those that go out of their way for others at dog events.






I want to personally thank all those that have fought to keep us free and safe.  I want to especially remember my son, Thomas K Bonner,  who did 4 tours of duty in Iraq and who was killed 5 years ago.  He made the sacrifice for his family and country.  I salute all the Veterans.






If you are entered in a show this weekend, good luck.  Remember, you represent our sport and your actions influence others.  Make sure you make a positive contribution.

Thanks for reading my blog.  We had 2038 views last week.  It humbles me to think you are coming back to visit each week.

Remember to watch for "Nice Deeds".  They are happening all around us.  Let's talk about the people helping others.

Be sure to go to Canuck Dogs, http://www.canuckdogs.com, to see all the upcoming events and to check stats.  You should  bookmark it.  That's where you will find my blog. 

XXXOOO
 

No comments:

Post a Comment