Monday, November 5, 2012

Welcome To My View


The Purina National Cancelled for 2013 

The CKC announced last week that there will not be a Purina National show this coming March.  I'm crushed.  This show means a lot to Lyle and me and we were really looking forward to doing it again next year.

We had taken the handling classes and we decided we were ready to enter our first show.  Nope, we didn't start with a sanction match or a small local show, which would have been normal.   We decided Baptism by Fire and decided to show at the Purina National.  We didn't have a clue what to expect.

Just to make sure we at least looked somewhat the part of knowledgeable dog people, I rushed out and bought a floor mat, tool box, some fancy tools, grooming table and hair dryer.  That should convince everyone that at least we can look the part.  We went on Wednesday night to set up.  We entered the building and walked around like kids on their first day of school.  We are asking each other,  "Where do you think the rings are?"  "I don't know, more importantly,  where is the grooming area!"  "Can we just set up in any open spot?"  "Is a corner spot better than an interior spot?"  ”How about this corner, it has a trash can?"  "Sure looks good."  "Better claim it, seems to be filling up fast."

So, we are set-up and we arrive for our first day of the show.  We get Abby in her crate and we walk around looking for the show secretary.  After walking in circles, we asked someone that points us to a table.  We get Lyle's armband and our catalogue.  We found our ring, so we would know the quickest route to get there from our set-up.  

We smiled at everyone that weekend.  We had our smiles plastered on our faces because we wanted to be included in the fraternity of dog show people. We thought if we made a faux pas, our smile would help excuse it.  The relief of seeing someone we knew was unbelievable.  We saw people from our handling class.  We all did the hugs and good luck and you will be great.  I don't think any of us believed it.  Some were set-up with their breeders and so they had some support.  We were alone and on our own.

That was a miserable feeling.  We would smile and make eye contact with other exhibitors, but most would overt their eyes in as much as to believe, that if they didn't make eye contact, they really were not visible. Many exhibitors acted like they were so occupied with their dogs that there wasn't enough time to speak.  We figured that wasn't true, because they would have time to speak to other people that they knew.  We were so green, we didn't know which people were professional handlers, breeders or like us, newbies.    

There were only two Standard Wirehaired Dachshunds entered,  our 6 - 9 month old bitch and a Special Dog.  The first day, Lyle entered the ring; I could hear my heart beating.  I was so proud of him.  He didn't even look nervous.  Abby was groomed and gorgeous.  We were no match for the Special Dog, but his owner/handler was very gracious to us, and we have built a friendship over this year.  That was Marcello Tulipano showing Kurt.  For the record, we still have not beaten them.  I grilled Lyle about every word spoken by the judge and every thought he had while in the ring.  He admitted that he was nervous, but I would have never guessed it.

As we left the ring, the second day, a very nice man and woman walked up to us and congratulated us on a very nice bitch.  We explained that this was our first show weekend and they thought we were doing a great job grooming our girl and handling her. They were the only people that actually approached us the entire weekend.  They did not tell us their names, but they were just very warm and encouraging.  We had seen the man in the ring, so I went to my catalogue and looked him up.  He was Thomas Curley and she is Diane Bell.  Both are professional handlers.  I know that my first impression of them was they have a distinguished look.  He looks like a taller and thinner Monopoly Man with the handlebar moustache and shaved head.  Diane is strikingly pretty and has a very warm smile.  

They could not have possibly known how much it meant to Lyle and me for them to speak to us.  We were nobody.  We had no clout.  We were stumbling through that weekend.  They gave us hope that we could show our dog.  I went to their set-up the next day and thanked them for being kind.  Diane gave me a hug.  From that day, I looked forward to seeing them at the shows.

I have seen many professional handlers over the past year do very nice things for newbies.  I know when Abby won Best Puppy in Show, the professionals were very happy for us.  So much so, I had one pro with tears in her eyes from happiness, and 4 professionals around us making sure Abby got her picture done and that Lyle and Abby looked their best.  

Let’s remember to be kind to the newbies at the shows.  You can recognize them.  They are nervous, shy and unsure of themselves. It takes a few minutes out of your day to ask them if you can be of any help or to answer a question. Everyone is concerned about declining entries at the shows.  Let's make shows a safe place to be for new people.  Be encouraging and offer your name and a contact phone number or email in case they have any questions after the show.  Be available and be interested.  

I will always be thankful for Thomas Curley and Diane Bell.  I count them among my close friends.  They are a great example of how to treat new people. I can testify to that!

Oh and by-the-way, having a trash can at your set-up isn’t great.  Every dog passing will hike and pretty soon you can find your set-up by the smell. 




ASK THE EXPERTS
This will be a regular feature of my blog.  I will be asking a question to a cross-section of Canadian experts involved in various areas of the dog world.  If you would like to participate or have a question you would like to have asked or have an expert you would like to answer a question, feel free to contact me.


Question:  What should a dog owner do to prepare their dog for seeing a groomer? 
Jenn Fournier-Stooke and Audrey

Answer:   Jenn Fournier-Stooke, Professional Groomer and owner of Roxy Dog Grooming and is the Owner/Handler of a Leonburger, Audrey.


There are many things a dog owner can do to prepare their dog for a trip to the groomer's.  First of all, it is very important to start the grooming process when the dog is young.  The earlier you get your puppy used to being brushed and getting their nails trimmed the better. 

Secondly, if the dog has a longer coat and the owner likes to keep some length, it is very important to keep the coat free of tangles and mats in between grooms.  A visit to the groomer's with a tangle free coat is a much nicer experience for your dog than being uncomfortable because the groomer has to brush, clip or cut out mats. 

Finally, it’s very important for owners to socialize their dog with other dogs and people when possible.  I always try my best to make the experience a pleasant one for my dog clients but sometimes it’s quite difficult when they have never been away from their owner.

What is the number one problem experienced by most groomers?

I think one of my biggest frustrations as a groomer is being faced with a matted dog.  Many owners will ask me if I can keep the coat long because they don’t want it “shaved”.  Unfortunately, many owners don’t understand is that it’s either impossible or very painful to brush out the mats once they have reached a certain point.  My number one priority is the well being of the dog and sometimes that means clipping the mats out (aka “shaving “).   When I'm forced to shave a dog due to mats, the owners don’t love the cut, and I have a dog leave my shop without looking its best. However my hope is that I have educated the client, so the dog is either brought back for grooming sooner or at least in better condition on future visits.

Groomers are another professional in your team for the best health and condition of your dog.  Feel free to ask questions about how to manage your dog's coat between grooming visits.  A good groomer will welcome your questions and will take the time to show you how to take care of your dog.



I like to see people do nice things for others.  If someone does
something nice for you at a show or you see or hear about 
something nice being done, please send me an email at 
djenkins@shaw.ca.   Be sure to put in the subject: Nice

We will mention that person by name in the blog.  

Location of Nice Deed:  Dog Shows Almost Any Weekend

Spotlighted This Week is Thomas Curley and Diane Bell, Carleton Place, Ontario


Thomas and Diane not only were wonderful to Lyle and me at our very first show, they do nice things regularly. These are the "Nice Deeds" I've witnessed personally.  I'm certain there are many more that I don't know about.

Diane Bell, Professional Hander,
Groomer and Good Citizen
I have seen Diane encourage junior handlers and when she is speaking to them, they have her complete attention.  

I have seen Diane offer grooming advice and give the newbie hands on experience.

Thomas Curley, Professional Hander
and Example of Professionalism





I have seen Thomas step in to instantly take control of two dogs about to get into a fight, which saved any harm coming to humans and dogs.

I have seen Thomas rush to  a choking dog's aid to help save a life.

Both have offered handling advice and hints to too numerous to count.  

They have given very generously of their time, knowledge and experience and they never ask for anything in return.  

If there were an award based on nominations for  people doing nice deeds throughout the year, Thomas and Diane would certainly win!


If you are showing this weekend, Good Luck!  If you know someone that has shown the qualities that make them a positive influence in the Fancy, please email me about them.  Remember to look for "Nice Deeds" and email them to me at djenkins@shaw.ca

Be sure to go to Canuck Dogs, http://www.canuckdogs.com, to see all the upcoming events and to check stats.  You should  bookmark it.  That's where you will find my blog. 


 XXOO
                     









No comments:

Post a Comment