Monday, January 18, 2016

Welcome to My View


It's been a while since I posted to my blog.  There has been a lot going on that has kept me very busy.  I'm sure most of you know that I founded a foundation called Zachary's Paws For Healing as a legacy to my nephew that passed away a year ago from cancer.  In the past year, we have taken ZPFH from a concept to a reality.  We have been working hard to bring patients at Juravinski Hospital in Hamilton, Ontario joy and comfort by facilitating visits with their own pet dogs and cats.  It has been a tremendous success.

We have received so much media coverage and went viral many times.  We have heard from supporters from all around the world.

We are preparing to expand our services to other hospitals and helping others start a ZPFH at their local hospitals.  

You can read all about our work at www.zacharyspawsforhealing.com  or on Facebook using the same name.

I will be posting my blog again on a weekly basis.  I remind everyone that what I write about is strictly my observations, and I am not influenced by any one.  I have no expectations that I will have 100% agreement 100% of the time.  If you like what I write about, I would like to hear from you.  If you don't agree, I don't mind hearing from you, too.  





I probably only went to two dog shows last year in Canada and what I overheard and saw a few weeks ago at a show is so concerning.  

We need to remind ourselves that, "Negative Comments creates Negative Images".  

I like to find a seat out of the way, where I can really watch the dogs in the ring.  Between breeds I watch people.  It's amazing what a person can observe.  

It is also jaw-dropping what can be overheard sitting ringside.  All the negative talk about competing dogs, owner handlers, professional handlers, judges and the show itself.

There are small strident minority groups that can be heard over the din of the majority.  The problem is the minority voices stridently decry what they think is wrong with your dogs, your handling, your breeding programs, your choice of friends.  They don't listen to anyone else and they consider themselves to be the authority all-things dogs.  Another problem is the weak people who agree wholeheartedly without question, and they will blindly share and repeat the same opinions and philosophies of their leader. They drink the same flavored Koolaid.

The dog show and ringside is not the only place they are heard.  It's not hard today to be heard with social media.  Is it too much that we think before we talk. We consider the whole picture, before forming opinions.  

I really am not amused by the nastiness that flows in our sport.  I don't appreciate hearing rumors being spread with no verifiable support to the rumor.  But nothing makes some people happier than to be a part of what could damage others permanently, that can harm reputations, even cause criminal investigation. 
Why do we insist on "Eating Our Own". 

Some believe in winning at any cost.  Winning becomes personal.  Winning somehow shines a golden light on us and makes us special and important.  Winning is important and we all want to win, but let's remember to want it for the right reasons and understand that on any given day you can lose or win.  It's subjective.  It's one judge's opinion on that given day.  Get over yourself and remember, there isn't a Rolex watch and a million dollar cheque at the end of the day.  It's a nickle flat ribbon and a $3.00 rosette.  

Please remember to do your winning with the same dignity as your losing and visa versa.  Dignity and good manners.

We wonder what we can do to save our sport. Build entries.  Encourage newcomers.  Influence the public that purebred dogs bred by well trained, educated breeders is better than puppy mills and backyard breeders.   The most cost effective and easiest thing to do and a good starting point is how we behave before, during and after shows.  

We need loyalty to our sport.  We need loyalty to each individual who participates in our sport.  Why must we tear each other down?  Why the dirty deeds, underhanded and nasty remarks?  Why the rumors?

I am making a personal commitment that I will not create drama.  I will not perpetuate rumors.  I am going to be encouraging and appoarchable.  I am going to willingly offer a hand when needed and help out those that are new.  I am committed to have a smile for everyone I meet.  I am going to be a DRAMA-FREE ZONE, and will not have time to listen to anyone's drama.

Why don't you take the same oath and let's start 2016 the proper and thoughtful way.  

Make this the year that you leave people feeling better about themselves when you walk away than before you spoke to them.  Be a positive influence.


Please remember to get your ads in for great advertising of your winning dogs. Contact your Canadian Dog Fancier area representative.  



When you need graphic work such as logo design, ad design, photos edited, webpage design, you should contact Wendy Reyn.  She is as talented as they come in the graphic world.  She is very reasonably priced and works hard for her clients.  She does all my graphic work exclusively.





No comments:

Post a Comment