Thursday, August 8, 2013

Welcome To My View






Ethics vs Morals
These words are so closely related that they are often interchanged.  What is the difference in these words? 

Ethics are rules of behavior determined by a governing body such as your profession or organization or club.  Lawyers, policemen and doctors all have to follow an ethical code of conduct determined by their profession, regardless of their own feelings or preferences. Ethics is a social system or the framework for acceptable behavior. 

Morals are our own personal beliefs of what is right and wrong behavior.  We typically are taught morals from our family.  Morals are family values.  If you are raised in a family that believes that discrimination against others is wrong, then you will likely never believe that discrimination is morally right.  However, if you were brought up in a family where there was discrimination, as you are exposed to various social opportunities in your life, you may change your moral beliefs about discrimination and decide it is wrong.   Personal beliefs, morals, can change over our lifetime due to our living experiences.

Ethics versus Morals is when you are in a situation that one challenges the other.  For instance, if you are a lawyer that believes that murder is wrong and should be punished, but you also have taken the oath that every person has the right to fair and competent legal defense.  How do you make your Morals work with Ethics?   Or you believe there is nothing wrong with smoking marijuana, but your employer says if you are caught smoking marijuana on the job you will be fired? 



  The CKC has a Members Code of Ethics and a Breeders Code of Ethics.  When was the last time you read them?  Here are the web links so you can review them if you like.



Also there is a CKC Handbook.  I look at it regularly for rules for different situations.  It is a very handy tool. 






Ethics in the Dog Fancy

Nowadays, there seems to be growing discontent among exhibitors, about the lack of ethics in the Dog Fancy.  Morals and the CKC Code of Ethics combined with the rules and regulations published by the CKC give each of us guidelines to follow in our sport.  We all should know the rules of conduct and the rules and regulations of our sport.  We all understand to breach any of these rules can result in disqualification, fines and even suspension.

In spite of all the rules and Regulations the CKC publishes, it is absolutely certain that the sport would run far less smoothly and be a great deal less fun without them. Like all rules, however watertight they appear to be, there are always people who will go out of their way to exploit the small “chinks and cracks” to their own advantage.  It’s the way people exploit the rules and breaks the unwritten ethics of the dog fancy that cause people to become angry and jaded.

There are always a few people in any sport that are unethical and will do whatever it takes to win.  There are exhibitors that email the judges pictures and stats on their dogs before the shows.  Some exhibitors want a lot of face-time with judges outside the ring in hopes of ingratiating themselves to the judge.  Some pile up on top of the ring steward table to be sure to be noticed with their fine dog.  Some exhibitors give gifts after the show as appreciation.  Some exhibitors take judges to dinner before, during and after the show.  I have seen exhibitors fling winning ribbons into the trash bin on their way out of the ring.  Some exhibitors stomp off so mad that their footsteps echo in your ears and their poor dog is being dragged behind them.  There are no written rules against any of this, but there are personal morals and sporting ethics that should come into play.

Wouldn't it be nice if all exhibitors had a great sporting attitude, win or lose?  Unfortunately, bad manners are displayed at every event.  Our sport is open to all people, regardless of economic, educational, or religious affiliation.  So, needless to say, we have all types of people exhibiting dogs.  I think we can all agree that the one person we all hate to see is the one that is always mad about something.  They don’t like the judging panel.  They think that Pro Handlers are unfair competition.  They think the other dogs are poor examples of their breed.  The show organizers are idiots and failed to do a good job.  The venue is awful.  On and on and on!   Fortunately, the majority of our exhibitors are good sports and take the losses with the wins.  They are genuinely pleased to see a good dog win, even it if means their dog did not win.  There are plenty of exhibitors that will lend a hand to hold another exhibitor’s dog ringside or even step in to show the dog if needed.  There are exhibitors that have taken a novice under their wing to be sure they understand all the rules and nuances of showing.  I am pleased to say that I have been on the receiving end and the giving end of good deeds.

I hope I have made some folks feel really awful about their behavior and will try harder to be good sports and play the game with better ethics and moral fiber.

If nothing else, I hope this serves as a reminder that most of our mother’s taught us right from wrong, and as adults we need those lessons more than ever!  Please don’t leave your good manners and ethics at your setup.  Bring them to the ring to show them off!




Shakes Hands and Come Out Friends

I was reminded this last weekend while we were at the Canfield, Ohio Dog Show that we should take the time to get to know people at our shows.  Setting up next door to us at Canfield fairgrounds was another couple.  I was bathing my dogs when the lady came to me and asked if I had the beautiful wirehaired dachshund that was reserve BIS at the Kent show.  I was stunned that she recognized us and I didn't have a clue who she was.  It was my lucky day because I met two great new people, Nancy and Randy Rhodes that are breeder/handlers of mini longhair dachshunds.  We got to chatting and we had so many things in common.  They live part of the year in Canada and the other in Michigan.  The Kent show is their club show.  Now, I look forward to seeing them at the shows.

Also, there was a young lady coming to their campsite that I recognized from the Ontario shows, and I asked who she was.  Her name is Karen Norton that has Chinese Crested and also handles sometimes for Nancy and Randy.   What a treat to actually meet her and to have a little time to get to know her.  Now, I look forward to seeing her at the shows.

We are all guilty of using the excuse that we are to busy with grooming, handling and other important tasks to meet people at the shows.  BULL*HIT!!  It isn't true.  That is just a boldface lie.  Nobody is that busy.  I’m guilty of that excuse, too! 

I remember that I kept seeing this very attractive lady (she will be embarrassed when she reads I called her “very attractive”!), and I loved the way she always presented herself and dog ringside.  Finally, one day I told Lyle that I was going to buck up and introduce myself to her.  We all went into the ring for breed and we are waiting ringside for the Hound Group.  I walked to the other side of the ring and told her that I think she is beautiful, she dresses immaculately and she had the finest Basset Hound I’d ever seen.  I told her my name and made my hasty exit.  She was stunned and didn't know what to say.  But, we have been good friends ever since.  We love seeing each other at the shows and we are friends away from the ring.  I know everyone thinks that I am not afraid of anything and I am outgoing.  I have a shy side and it isn't always easy for me to meet new people. 

So, please wipe your hands off on your clothes, take a deep gulp and march up to a stranger at the next show and stick out your hand.  Remember to be interested in that person and they will be interested in you.  When the introductions are done, you both walk away with a new acquaintance and the possibility of a new friendship.





Remember to watch for "Nice Deeds".  They are happening all around us.  Let's talk about the people helping others.   Send your "Nice Deeds" to me at djenkins@shaw.ca 

Be sure to go to Canuck Dogs, http://www.canuckdogs.com, to see all the upcoming events and to check stats.  You should  bookmark it.  That's where you will find my blog. 

                                                                     XXXOOO

2 comments:

  1. I remember the days when a group of us in the Sporting Group stayed always to watch the group and then BIS. I don't go to many shows now as I do not have anything to show. Most of that group have 'aged-out' as they say in the field trial world. We have had our wins, high moments, low moments. I am walking disabled now so finding someone to show is difficult on the limited disability pension on which I live. However, when I do get to a show, I stay to the bitter end. I have made friends in other groups and I support those friends. One of them often shows for me. When I get a 'fold and go' scooter, I shall be back in the ring. I miss the comaraderie of those days.
    And, I have witnessed un-ethical and immoral behaviour in my own breed. It sickened me so I made it my purpose to retire the dog that was being used unethically. I did and the owner never brought another dog out to campaign again. No foreign substances - most have never heard the phrase. I watch dogs have their coats doctored - some even dye them. I have seen handlers tease a male with a bitch in season. Sometimes you can't breathe because of the starch in the air. It is wrong, wrong, wrong. And, the judges do not stop it. It is in their hands to demand the change and they do nothing. That is what scares me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember many a time when I was put up over an individual, they would go through the judge book, demand an exchange of ribbons or even worse .... When a well known judge came into Canada for his assignment, he was reamed ringside publicly and lousy by the same exhibitor and partner for putting my dog up on that day. "Do you not know who we are??" If I had a dime for every time I heard that, or had seen judges pulled aside for placing me, I could afford to hire a handler to show for me and not ever have to see it again.

    ReplyDelete