Monday, December 3, 2012

Welcome To My View






                                    Judges and Judging Judges 


This is such a hot and controversial topic that I have had people caution me about writing about it.  Either I'm really dumb or I really think I can perhaps make some sense of it, so I have made a decision to write about it and throw caution to the wind!  I really hope that you will take the time to consider what I'm saying and find merit.  I'll go ahead and apologize to any of you that think I've overstepped my boundaries or if I  seem a little preachy.  I'm just trying to put a fresh look on an obvious problem. Here goes!

Fact:   Without Judges there would be no shows.
Fact:   Without exhibitors there would be no need for judges.
Fact:  Judges are human.
Fact:  As long as humans are involved in any endeavour  there will be controversy, discord and unhappy participants. 
Fact:  This topic has been discussed from every possible angle for decades and there has been no satisfactory resolution that serves everyone’ needs.
Fact:  People like to blame poor judging for everything from not winning, poor attendance and fewer shows.  It can be a catch-all for whatever ails the sport.

I have only been in the sport for a short while, compared to many that have been involved in dogs for many, many years.  I have spent thousands of dollars when all is considered in just this year.  I have bought dogs and have had all that expense.  I have paid entry fees, travel expenses, handlers on occasion, and we have paid for handling classes.  Frankly, from all the complaining we have heard at the shows about judges, it’s amazing we stuck with it.   We could have just as easy got the impression that we will never get a fair shot in the ring, so why bother and quit.  

At the shows, people stomp out of the ring because they did not place.  I have seen tantrums because they were awarded a group 2nd rather than a group 1st.  I hear grumbling about the judge putting up a class dog over the special.  There is always talk about the judge is paying back another judge for a favour or to get a juicy assignment.  It’s amazing to me how many judges are licensed that doesn’t know the breed being judged.  The comments and criticism goes on and on.  I sit outside the ring.  I overhear this talk, I see the behaviour.  Does any of this promote our sport?   Does this say to anyone new, Welcome to a Grand Old Sport of Dogs?  What if it is my class dog that got put up over your special?  What should be my feeling about such a comment?

I have read many Yahoo groups debate the subject.  It is the same song, different verse. One person makes impassioned post to the group and another person will take it personally and get their feathers ruffled and will respond with a rude post back.  It’s the same as being ringside but electronically.  I finally turn it off and take a break from reading the posts.  It’s just another example of how nothing gets resolved.  It makes me very uncomfortable.  I feel powerless.  If these lifers in the sport can’t speak to each other respectfully and find a solution, how in the world will I be able to make a difference? 

Sure, there is some truth in what people say about judging.  Like any human endeavor there will be a level of politics played.  The dog sport is like any game or business, alliances are made and people are teaming up to strengthen their position in the sport.  You want to be seen with the best to be considered one of the best.  So where do we go from here?

To me, it is simple.  Some of you may say I'm naive and over simplifying the situation.  But here are my suggestions to improve:
  • Take the wins gracefully.
  • Take the losses gracefully.
  • Keep your negative comments private and out of earshot of others.
  • Listen, after all the stomping, cussing, and teeth gnashing, what has really been accomplished.  The outcome is still the same.  The Judge will come back to judge another day.  You still need points so you will continue to show. 
  • Watch your demeanour around the ring and in the set up.   It’s like a wild fire.  Your anger and negativity spread and creates an uncomfortable atmosphere for others.  It leaves people not knowing how to respond to you.   If they agree, it sets a negative tone to their day.  If they disagree with you, they run the risk of earning your disdain.  There is no win with that behaviour. 

I used to teach conversational rapport.  I taught people how to identify negative, neutral and positive attitudes.  Negative attitudes always has language that includes anger, avoidance, combativeness and it shows a level of irrational behaviour and a lack of confidence.  It’s when voices are raised, or when people talk through clinched teeth.  I know you have experienced these behaviours  The person talks rapidly and with a higher pitched voice.  They are closed off and can only hear their own words. I have been guilty of this behaviour.  We all have.   Just reading this has probably brought a situation to mind.  When you recall that time, you will remember how out of control and powerless that person really looked.  This is not what we want to convey in our sport.

Let’s make a commitment to conduct ourselves in a calm and rational way.  We want to show our confidence in our ability to breed and show dogs well.  A confident person, who really believes they are doing the best for their breed, kennel and sport, has no reason to lose their cool.  They have enough confidence to take a loss or a lesser win with poise and without being threatened.

This last weekend, my standard wirehaired dachshund bitch placed 4th in group.  It was our first group placement.  I was thrilled to high heaven.  The folks around me, were my competitors in the ring, however, outside the ring, they were my champions.  They showed me the kindness and genuine joy of success.  They are people that have had Number 1 in their breeds and can still appreciate the joy of that first group placement. They had the confidence in themselves to not let my class bitch be upsetting to them for going up instead of their dog.  That moment, those people, will keep me involved in the sport.  I hope we can all find that confidence when we are asked to.

It’s an individual effort to make this sport great.  Help me and others by being a strong POSITIVE influence and display good sportsmanship and confidence.  If we learn to control our own behaviour  then we might actually start communicating from a positive point of view and find solutions that work.


ASK THE EXPERTS
This is a regular feature of my blog.  I will be asking a question to a cross-section of Canadian experts involved in various areas of the dog world.  If you would like to participate or have a question you would like to have asked or have an expert you would like to answer a question, feel free to contact me.

Question:  How should a owner and Professional Handler work together and how do they build a successful relationship?

Answer:  Chris Pollen, Professional Handler/Breeder/Owner of Springsport All Breed Handling, Petawawa, Ontario   

Owners spend a lot of time watching, and listening to Professional Handlers. They see them work in and outside the ring. They see how the dogs are treated, presented, and how the dog responds to the handler.  These are key factors in the choosing of a handler. The owner puts the well being of their dog into the hands of the handler and they must trust their dog(s) will receive the care and attention that is needed.

A really good working relationship between a client and a handler is a true partnership, which is the relationship between handler and dog.  Any good relationship takes time, care, and understanding. A good handler works together with the dog to create a cohesive team. They work to understand the dog’s movement and to find what the dog’s motivators are. Dogs are very different, just as people are very different. Each dog needs a specific touch that is just for them.  It can be using specific bait, a toy, and change in voice, certain lead, even a song to sing.   Handlers take the time to find out just exactly what it is that dog needs and enjoys.

Not having a kennel set up of my own, as a young, newly established professional handler, I spend a lot of time getting together with owners and dogs during the week to play, and to train. I work with my owners and give them small homework assignments that will further their dog’s training, grooming or conditioning.  For me this really requires a great partnership with my owners.

Having an open line of communication between both parties is crucial.   The owner must understand what my needs are to work with their dog and I must also understand what the owner’s expectations are for their dog and their motivation in the sport.  It is a commitment we make to each other. 

A professional handler’s experience can help enhance a dog’s positive experience in the ring, and the owner’s positive experience of the show world. There is always the opportunity to learn something new for the handler and the owner. I recently began showing a number of dogs of a breed that I had previously had little experience with. My client (a long time owner/breeder/handler of this breed) in turn taught me things to improve my own handling of this breed. I continuously pick her brain about her breed, and we work together to bring out the best in her dogs. I brought my own experience of other breeds and tricks to the table, too.  Had we not pooled our knowledge and experiences, we would not have the wonderful relationship that we have, nor would we be so pleased with the presentation and results we have received in the ring.

There are many great owner/handlers in the dog sport, however, if you don’t think you have the ability to handle your own dog or if you don’t have the time or physical capability to train and handler your dog, try a professional handler.  Talk candidly about what you expect and what your goals are.  You should feel a connection with your handler.  The pro handler should feel like part of your family and team.  Hit the rings and sit back and have fun, because I bet your dog will be having fun performing.





I like to see people do nice things for others.  If someone does something nice for you at a show or you see or hear about something nice being done, please send me an email at djenkins@shaw.ca.   Be sure to put in the subject: Nice

We will mention that person by name in the blog.


Reported by: Vicky Bennett, Owner of Visichy American Cocker Spaniels, Lethbridge, Alberta







The Lethbridge & District Kennel Club held their 50th Anniversary show on November 16-17-18 in Lethbridge, AB.   The club held a  raffle at the show which brought in the handsome sum of  $700.

The Lethbridge & District Kennel Club donated the entire raffle proceeds
to the Alberta Junior Handlers.  This was a big surprise to the Juniors who were thrilled.  A very generous good deed on behalf of the Lethbridge & District Kennel Club.

This is a great example of how clubs can help promote the Junior Handlers in their area.  

Congratulations to the Alberta Junior Handlers for being the recipients of this nice gift.


Remember to watch for "Nice Deeds".  They are happening all around us.  Let's talk about the people helping others.

Be sure to go to Canuck Dogs, http://www.canuckdogs.com, to see all the upcoming events and to check stats.  You should  bookmark it.  That's where you will find my blog. 

                                                                  XXXOOO


2 comments:

  1. Hi Donna

    I could not have said better myself. Thumbs up to you. I am an owner, and when breeder said not nice things, because my dog won BOB and Group 4. She did not realize that my son was earshot of her. However, it is not worth it, I am their to show my dog and that is it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your BOB and Group 4! Sorry your son overheard the comments. It can be a great learning experience, however. This will allow him to understand good sportsmanship and self-control. Walking away celebrating your win was your focus and you should enjoy it rather than worry about negative comments.

    Thanks for writing, and thanks for being a dedicated reader of my blog!

    Happy Showing and Have a Happy and Safe Holiday Season.

    ReplyDelete