Monday, October 15, 2012

Welcome To My View

Gone and Could Be Forgotten

I left last Wednesday for my home town  Atlanta, Georgia.  I just arrived back home yesterday and I was so happy to be back in Canada.  I apologize for my blog being a couple days late this week.   I didn't take my laptop with me on this trip and my sister's computer was so dreadfully slow, I decided to wait till this morning to publish this week's edition.

As much as I was looking forward to my trip home to host a surprise birthday party for my sister, Debbie.  I was dreading leaving my girls, Abby and Cara.  I have never been away from my pups for days.  I know my non-dog friends will read this and roll their eyes!  I knew that Lyle would make sure they were fed, x'd and loved, but would they still love me when I got back?
Three cute behinds! 

Anxious to see the girls when I got home, I suggested that Lyle let me get my jewellery off so when they attacked me, they would not snag my earrings or necklace.  So I rushed to my bedroom and put all that away and sat down prepared for them to be brought to me.  That really sounds like the queen took her throne and was waiting for her subjects.  

I braced myself for all the licks and nibbles and whimpering that signified how much they missed me.  I prepared to be attacked by both to compete for my attention.   I heard the door open and in ran my girls straight past me to the water bowl.  What?  What?  What the heck?  I called to them and they ran to me, gave me quick licks and a "Hi Mom" and off they ran to Lyle for ear scratches.

I felt my heart drop and a tear forming in my eye when sure enough, they came leaping back to me as much to say psych!   I was suddenly getting attacked from both sides.  Nibbles on my ears, nose, neck, one was pulling on my shirt to pay attention to her and the other was kissing my entire face.  Finally they settled down and laid beside me so I could just give them rubs.

They looked great, a bit shaggy and in need of grooming, but they had those sweet faces and wet noses.  Nothing like the love of a dog!

And.......my husband!!!!! I am still trying to decide if I'll allow him to live!   He thought he was so funny to have a little Rollover in his pocket to make sure the puppies went to him instead of to me when they came in.  Such a comedian.  Maybe I should help him take his act on the road!!  LOL 



ASK THE EXPERTS
This will be a regular feature of my blog.  I will be asking a question to a cross-section of Canadian experts involved in various areas of the dog world.  If you would like to participate or have a question you would like to have asked or have an expert you would like to answer a question, feel free to contact me.

Question:  Please describe what a Show Secretary does and what training is needed to be
a Show Secretary?
Answer:  Diane Fast is from Manitoba.  She is a successful Dalmatian Breeder and she  also owns/shows Whippets.  If that were not enough, she is a Show Secretary.


My first time as show secretary was completely trial by fire.   I was approached by David Markus of Assiniboine Kennel Club to help them out with Show Secretary duties as their secretary was ill.  Up to that point, I had been an exhibitor not affiliated with any show so had no idea of the behind the scenes work that occurs in hosting a show – and there is a LOT!  

Diane Fast, Show Secretary
Breeder/Owner/Handler
As show secretary, I apply for our show dates with the CKC and once the dates are approved fill out another form to the CKC to apply for our judges.   This is usually done at least 6 months prior to the event.   Once the judging panel is approved, a Premium List is created, printed and distributed to Canuck Dogs, our local Manitoba Dogs as well as copies to appropriate placed for individuals to pick up a copy.  Email copies are sent to all the judges, the CKC Shows and Trial Division, and the CKC representatives in Conformation and Obedience in the province where the show is being held.

Entries come in via fax, mail or pick up at the various outlets and then put into our computer program.  This program then generates a template for the creation of the  Judging Schedule.  In addition, the program prints out the  Judges Books,  the Catalogue,  the CKC fees to be paid based on the number of dogs entered as well as a list of misc. items that individuals can pre purchase – such as catalogues, reserved grooming, camping, banquet tickets, etc.    After the official closing date of the show, the judging schedule is finalized with the help of the other AKC members  and sent out to Canuck Dogs, Manitoba Dogs, the judges and of course the exhibitors with their invoice.     The Catalogue is proofed, organized and sent to the printers along with any ads for printing.  The number of catalogues printed must include the appropriate numbers required for CKC  (1 marked catalogue and 1 unmarked catalogue for each event), a catalogue for each judge who is judging at the event plus pre-orders and a few for those who wish to purchase at the show.    Then the judge’s books are put together and then the pre-paperwork for the show is done.

The day prior to the show, the entire show committee is out in full force setting up the rings, tables and helping exhibitors and vendors find their setups.    That is usually equals  a 10 hour day at the building. 

On the first day of the show participants come to the show secretaries table for their arm bands and to make any corrections to their entries in the corrections book.   The SS makes sure that the Rosettes and/or prizes along with the judge’s books are ready for the judge at the beginning of his or her ring time.   If there are any discrepancies in the books, the show secretary is responsible for signing off on the change.  At the end of each assignment, I go through and ensure that no errors were made, by comparing the Ring Stewards books and the Judges Books.  The results are then transferred   to the CKC catalogue for that day.  All the sheets in the judge’s books are separated with the CKC and Ring Stewards copies being filed and club copy being posted for exhibitors while the judges’ copy is placed in an envelope for the judges records at the end of the weekend.    

Because the show secretary is the person who signs any move up sheets I am at the building at least one hour before the first posted ring time and I am there until the end of the day each day.

After the show is complete the entire AKC committee helps to take down the show site.  Sweeping, rolling of mats, dismantling of ring barriers, cleaning up the kitchen and sweeping the entire arena.

The last step of being a show secretary is the remittance to the CKC.  The final paperwork that breaks down how many dogs were entered each day along with a cheque and judges books are forwarded to CKC.   Then we start thinking about the following years show – who we would like to hire and what we can do to improve our event.  

I found this answer very interesting.  This is a love of fancy dogs to commit to all this hard work.  I will certainly be more grateful for all the work behind the scenes when I attend future shows.  Being an exhibitor is not so hard compared to all the work the Show Secretary does.  I think they should be more recognition for all their work.  


    


I like to see people do nice things for others.  If someone does
something nice for you at a show or you see or hear about 
something nice being done, please send me an email at 
djenkins@shaw.ca.   Be sure to put in the subject: Nice

We will mention that person by name in the blog.  


Location of Nice Deed: Pine Ridge Dog Show

Christina Heard








Deborah Sullivan of BabyDoll Pomeranians left her brand new grooming table at the show on Saturday and couldn't make it back to the show on Sunday due to car trouble.  Brad & Christina Heard of Summerford Newfoundlands were at the show and took charge of the table, delivering it to Deborah's house on their way home on Sunday.










Writing this blog is so much fun.  Thank you for coming back each week to read My View on the Dog World.  Isn't it nice to hear the Nice Deeds that are happening around the events?  It is so easy to find things to complain about, but if we each look for an opportunity to do one nice deed during an event, wouldn't everyone have more fun?


Dusting my hands off!   Another blog published.  Now to plan next week's blog.  Remember to send me your ideas for questions for the Experts and Nice Deeds you see.  Have a great week and lots of fun at your events this coming weekend!       

Be sure to go to Canuck Dogs, http://www.canuckdogs.com, to see all the upcoming events and to check stats.  You should  bookmark it.  That's where you will find my blog.  


XXOO




No comments:

Post a Comment